The Church of the Holy Sepulchre Jerusalem
OUP/British Academy, 1974 - Religion - 64 pages
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem has suffered many vicissitudes. A Constantinian foundation, it was twice destroyed and rebuilt before the Crusaders took it in hand. Respected by Saladin at his conquest, the church remained much as the Crusaders left it, until in 1808 a fire broke out and spread through the whole building. In 1927 a severe earthquake shook Jerusalem causing widespread damage to the structure, so that for forty years afterwards the southern fašade was supported by steel scaffolding. No one has probably had such a close knowledge of the church, from foundation to roof top, as Father CoŘasnon, who, among others, was instrumental in drawing up the restoration plan agreed upon in 1959 by the various churches owning different parts of the complex of buildings. In his Schweich Lectures delivered at the British Academy in 1972, Father CoŘasnon describes the history of the church in detail, revealing the fresh discoveries which have enabled the site to be planned with a new authority.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
CONSTANTINES BASILICA AND GOLGOTHA
2 other sections not shown
Other editions - View all
alignment already ancient angle apse arches archway Arculf arrangement atrium axis baptistry Basilica Bishop building built Byzantine Caesarea called Calvary Cardo Maximus carried central chapel Christian church circular columns completed Constantine construction continued cornice courtyard Cross Crusaders destroyed diameter door doorways east eastern eleventh century entrance Eusebius evidently existing fašade fašade-wall face fire forecourt Forum foundations four fourth century gallery Garden Gate Golgotha grotto ground height Helena Holy Sepulchre indicated interior Jerusalem John joined lateral layout less likewise Mark Mary masonry measured metres Modestus monument nave northern occupied opened original passage Persians Pilgrim pillars porticos possible present preserved probably Reconstruction remains rock Roman roof Rotunda side southern space square started stone supporting texts Tomb tradition transept twelfth century upper floor vaulting vestibule wall western whole