The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem has suffered many vicissitudes. A Constantinian foundation, it was twice destroyed and rebuilt before the Crusaders took it in hand. Respected by Saladin at his conquest, the church remained much as the Crusaders left it, until in 1808 a fire broke out and spread through the whole building. In 1927 a severe earthquake shook Jerusalem causing widespread damage to the structure, so that for forty years afterwards the southernfašade was supported by steel scaffolding.No one has probably had such a close knowledge of the church, from foundation to roof top, as Father CoŘasnon, who, among others, was instrumental in drawing up the restoration plan agreed upon in 1959 by the various churches owning different parts of the complex of buildings. In his Schweich Lectures delivered at the British Academy in 1972, Father CoŘasnon describes the history of the church in detail, revealing the fresh discoveries which have enabled the site to be planned with anew authority.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Tentative reconstruction of the fourthcentury monument page
The Mausoleum of Constantia and the Basilica of St Agnes Rome
Reconstruction of the fourthcentury Holy Sepulchre by R Krautheimer
14 other sections not shown
Other editions - View all
Aelia Capitolina alignment ancient apse arcades arches archway Arculf arrangement atrium axis baptistry Basilica of Constantine Bishop building Byzantine Cardo Maximus chapel church of Golgotha ciborium circular wall cistern Constantine Constantine Monomachus construction Corbo cornice Cross Crusaders crypt of St Damascus Gate deambulatory decorated diameter doors doorways east eastern edifice Egeria eleventh century emplacement entrance Eusebius of Caesarea excavations existing exterior facade facade-wall forecourt Forum foundations G fourth century gallery Golgotha grotto Hadrian Hakim height Helena Holy Sepulchre interior Jerusalem Joseph of Arimathea Krautheimer lateral nave lateral vestibules layout Madaba Martyrium masonry masonry-work mausoleum metres Modestus monument original Patriarch Pilgrim of Bordeaux plinth porticos probably reconstruction rediscovered remains Resurrection reused rock of Calvary Roman Rotunda second Wall side small apses southern and northern square pillars storey texts Tomb tradition transept twelfth century Ummayad upper floor Valentine Trouvelot vaulting Wall F western
All Book Search results »
Medieval Architecture in Western Europe: From A.D. 300 to 1500, Volume 1
Robert G. Calkins
No preview available - 1998