The Hipster Handbook
hip•ster - \hip-stur (s)\ n. One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat.
Clues You Are a Hipster
1. You graduated from a liberal arts school whose football team hasn't won a game since the Reagan administration.
2. You frequently use the term "postmodern" (or its commonly used variation"PoMo") as an adjective, noun, and verb.
3. You carry a shoulder-strap messenger bag and have at one time or another worn a pair of horn-rimmed or Elvis Costello-style glasses.
4. You have refined taste and consider yourself exceptionally cultured, but have one pop vice (ElimiDATE, Quiet Riot, and Entertainment Weekly are popular ones) that helps to define you as well-rounded.
5. You have kissed someone of the same gender and often bring this up in casual conversation.
6. You spend much of your leisure time in bars and restaurants with monosyllabic names like Plant, Bound, and Shine.
7. You bought your dishes and a checkered tablecloth at a thrift shop to be kitschy, and often throw vegetarian dinner parties.
8. You have one Republican friend whom you always describe as being your "one Republican friend."
9. You enjoy complaining about gentrification even though you are responsible for it yourself.
10. Your hair looks best unwashed and you position your head on your pillow at night in a way that will really maximize your cowlicks.
11. You own records put out by Matador, DFA, Definitive Jux, Dischord, Warp, Thrill Jockey, Smells Like Records, and Drag City.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
The hipster handbookUser Review - Not Available - Book Verdict
Welcome to the esoteric world of the well-read and well-educated, where all things are either deck ("punk rock," cool) or fin (over). The hipster's answer to the Official Preppy Handbook, this volume ... Read full review
This was the funniest book I read in the 'aughts. And mostly exact.
Theyve Gone Suburban
Metal as Fuck
The WASH Waitstaff and Service Hipster
Waddup Bitch? Hipsters and Their Greetings
wwwhipsterhandbookcom and Other Deck Sites
What About Indie Rockers?
Separating the Deck from the Fin
Dining Diet and Dinner Parties
Choosing a Bar
The Perfect Bronson
Beers Hipsters Avoid
Cocktails Hipsters Avoid
Gotta Light? Hipster Cigarettes
More Than a Matter of Style
Grooming Makeup and Surgery for the Hipster Female
Hipster Hairdos for Men
Hipster Hairdos for Women
Maxwells Carpets and CK1s
A Day in the Life Slacker Style
Indigenous Zones of the Hipster in the United States and Canada
The Ivy Leagues for Hipsters
Working for the Man
The Job Interview
I Want My MTV Disconnected
If You Havent Read These Works at Least Pretend You Have
Rolling Out the Red Carpet or The Oscars Suck Ass
Dating a Hipster
Some Common and Uncommon Pairings in Dating
Dating a NonHipster
The Aging Hipster
Are You a Hipster?
It Takes a Village