The Historical Register of the University of Oxford: Being a Supplement to the Oxford University Calender with an Alphabetical Record of University Honours and Distinctions Completed to the End of Trinity Term, 1900
Clarendon Press, 1900 - 914 pages
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
afterwards Fellow Alexander Alfred Arthur Ball Balliol Bampton Lecturer BaUiol Bishop Bras Brat Ch.Ch Chancellor Chem CL Mod Class III College Corp Craven Scholar Earl Edm.H Edmund Edward Ernest Exam Exeter Exeter 2 CL Exhibitioner Fellow of Exeter Fellow of Hertford Fellow of Lincoln Fellow of Magdalen Fellow of Merton Fellow of Oriel Fellow of Queen's Fellow of St Fellow of Trinity Fellow of University Francis Frederick George H Henry Herbert Hertf Hist Hugh James Jesus John's Johnson Scholar Jones Joseph Keble KebU Line Literis Humanioribus Lord Magd Magdalen Hall Math Mgd.H MICHAELMAS TERM Nat Sc Non-C Oriel 3 CL Pemb Pembroke Philip Physiol Princl Prize Proctor Prof Professorship Provost Reginald Richard Robert Samuel Scholar of Balliol Scholarships Select Preacher Smith sometime Fellow Souls Stanhope Prize Student of Ch Theol Thomas Trin Univ Vice-Chancellor Wadh Wadham Walter Warden William H Worcester Wore
Page 560 - Esquire, and Dorothy his wife.' The Society was founded in 1612, under Letters Patent granted by King James I, and consisted originally of a Warden, fifteen Fellows, fifteen Scholars, two Chaplains, and two Clerks. Under the present Statutes, which were approved by the Queen in Council on May 3, 1882, there are to be not less than eight...
Page 135 - Scholarship with the moneys contributed, for the purpose of " recording " Lord Eldon's connection with the Profession of the Law, and with the " University of which he was so distinguished an ornament, and, at the " same time, of conferring a real benefit, as well as a distinction, upon " meritorious individuals, who may have to struggle with difficulties in " the early part of their professional career.
Page 544 - May 3, 1882, make provision for the following Fellowships: — Fourteen to be filled up after examination in subjects connected with the studies of Law and History; Seven to be filled up after examination in such...
Page 122 - Also I direct and appoint, that the eight Divinity Lecture Sermons shall be preached upon either of the following subjects, — to confirm and establish the Christian Faith, and to confute all heretics and schismatics — upon the divine authority of the Holy Scriptures — upon the authority of the writings of the Primitive Fathers, as to the faith and practice of the Primitive Church — upon the Divinity of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ — upon the Divinity of the Holy Ghost — upon the...
Page 552 - Exhibitions of the annual value of about £90, that is, £45 a year together with Tuition and dinner free, tenable in the first instance for two years, at the end of which time they may be extended by the Governing Body in the same way and under the same conditions as the Open Scholarships. Candidates before being allowed to compete must satisfy the Dean that without such assistance they cannot maintain themselves at College. There is no other limitation.
Page 130 - for the maintenance of the said two persons for the space ' of ten years, and no longer, the half of which time at least ' they are to travel in parts beyond sea for their better im' provement;" and he provided them with chambers in that College.
Page 135 - Protestants of the Church of England, and " Members of the University of Oxford, who, having passed their...
Page 556 - College was founded in 1555, by Sir Thomas White, Knt., Alderman of London. The original foundation consisted of a President, fifty Fellows and Scholars, one Chaplain, an Organist, six Singing Men, eight Choristers, and two Sexton».
Page 560 - FOUNDED by Nicholas Wadham, of Merifield in the county of Somerset, Esquire, and Dorothy his wife, daughter of Sir William Petre, to be a College of Students ' ad laudem gloriam et honorem Omnipotentis Dei, bonarum literarum incrementum, ac communem hujus regni utilitatem.
Page 570 - HALL is commonly said to derive its name from St. Edmund, Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Henry III. It appears to have been purchased in the year 1269 by the Canons of Osney, and soon afterwards devoted by them to the purposes of academical instruction.