The New American Landscape: Leading Voices on the Future of Sustainable Gardening
Timber Press, 2011 - Gardening - 255 pages
Gardeners are the front line of defense in our struggle to tackle the problems of global warming, loss of habitat, water shortages, and shrinking biodiversity.Ê In The New American Landscape, author and editor Thomas Christopher brings together the best thinkers on the topic of gardening sustainably, and asks them to describe the future of the sustainable landscape. The discussion unfolds from there, and what results is a collective vision as eloquent as it is diverse.
The New American Landscape offers designers a roadmap to a beautiful garden that improves, not degrades the environment. It's a provocative manifesto about the important role gardens play in creating a more sustainable future that no professional garden designer can afford to miss.Ê
- John Greenlee and Neil Diboll on the new American meadow garden.
- Rick Darke on balancing natives and exotics in the garden.
- Doug Tallamy on landscapes that welcome wildlife.
- Eric Toensmeier on the sustainable edible garden.
- David Wolfe on gardening sustainable with a changing climate.
- Elaine Ingham on managing soil health.
- David Deardorff and Kathryn Wadsworth on sustainable pest solutions.
- Ed Snodgrass and Linda McIntyre on green roofs in the sustainable residential landscape.
- Thomas Christopher on waterwise gardens.
- Toby Hemenway on whole system garden design.
- The Sustainable Site Initiative on the managing the home landscape as a sustainable site.
What people are saying - Write a review
LibraryThing ReviewUser Review - 2wonderY - LibraryThing
Timber Press often publishes books with lush, flashy covers. The New American Landscape is very understated, but the contents are good and solid. We’re offered 11 essays with a reasonable amount of ... Read full review
The New American Landscape: Leading Voices on the Future of Sustainable GardeningUser Review - Margaret Heller - Book Verdict
Bringing together some of the top writers in sustainable gardening and landscaping, this is a comprehensive introduction to current thought in this field. Much of the book covers the theoretical ... Read full review
CHAPTER 1 Sustainable Solutions
CHAPTER 2 Managing the Home Landscape as a Sustainable Site
CHAPTER 3 The New American Meadow Garden
CHAPTER 4 Balancing Natives and Exotics in the Garden
CHAPTER 5 The Sustainable Edible Garden
CHAPTER 6 Gardening Sustainably with a Changing Climate
CHAPTER 7 Waterwise Gardens
CHAPTER 8 Green Roofs in the Sustainable Residential Landscape