The New Oxford Annotated Bible: With the Apocrypha
The premier study Bible used by scholars, pastors, undergraduate and graduate students, The New Oxford Annotated Bible offers a vast range of information, including extensive notes by experts in their fields; in-text maps, charts, and diagrams; supplementary essays on translation, biblical interpretation, cultural and historical background, and other general topics.
Extensively revised--half of the material is brand new--featuring a new design to enhance readability, and brand-new color maps, the Annotated Fourth Edition adds to the established reputation of this essential biblical studies resource. Many new and revised maps, charts, and diagrams further clarify information found in the Scripture text. In addition, section introductions have been expanded and the book introductions present their information in a standard format so that students can find what they need to know. Of course, the Fourth Edition retains the features prized by students, including single column annotations at the foot of the pages, in-text charts, and maps, a page number-keyed index of all the study materials in the volume, and Oxford's renowned Bible maps. This timely edition maintains and extends the excellence the Annotated's users have come to expect, bringing still more insights, information, and perspectives to bear upon the understanding of the biblical text.
· The renowned New Revised Standard Version Bible translation, the scholarly standard for study of the Bible
· Wholly revised, and greatly expanded book introductions and annotations.
· Annotations in a single column across the page bottom, paragraphed according to their boldface topical headings.
· In-text background essays on the major divisions of the biblical text.
· Essays on the history of the formation of the biblical canon for Jews and various Christian churches.
· More detailed explanations of the historical background of the text.
· More in-depth treatment of the history and varieties of biblical criticism.
· A timeline of major events in the ancient Near East.
· A full index to all of the study materials, keyed to the page numbers on which they occur.
· A full glossary of scholarly and critical terms.
· 36-page section of full color New Oxford Bible Maps, approximately 40 in-text line drawing maps and diagrams.
Classic but not stodgy, up-to-date but not trendy, The New Oxford Annotated Bible: 4th Edition is ready to serve new generations of students, teachers, and general readers.
What people are saying - Write a review
Thorough and detailed; easy to follow. A good buyUser Review - Master Chief - Christianbook.com
This Bible has it all. It is easy to read and easy to follow. The book summaries and explanations add to the understanding of each book. I highly recommend this as an addition to anyone's study library. Read full review
An outstanding tool for serious Bible study.User Review - Jimmy Gentry - Christianbook.com
I have been using the New Oxford Annotated Bible since January 1976. It is, in my estimation, the best study Bible available. Over the past twenty-five years, my wife and I have given more than 500 ... Read full review
Other editions - View all
The New Oxford Annotated Bible: New Revised Standard Version
Michael David Coogan
No preview available - 2010