Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according acres administration Africa agricultural Algeria amounted Annual appointed Area and Population army Austria Bank Bavaria born Britain British budget Cape Colony capital census cent chief Church coast colony Commerce consists Constitution cotton Council courts cruisers debt December December 31 Defence districts dollars Duke duties elected electors Empire England English estimated European expenditure females Finance first-class cruisers following table shows Foreign francs French German gold Government guilders guns haikwan hectares hectolitres Hungary Imperial imports and exports India Industry inhabitants Ireland Islands June Justice King land Legislative lire London Madagascar males March 31 marks married military milreis Minister Ministry native nominated officers Paris pesos ports President Prince Princess principal produce provinces pupils railway Republic revenue Roman Catholic roubles rupees Russia schools Scotland ships silver South square miles statistics sugar taxes telegraph territory tons total number towns trade United Kingdom vessels vols Wales Württemberg
417. oldal - Chamber,' comprising four members, two of Tartar and two of Chinese origin, besides two assistants from the Han-lin, or Great College, who have to see that nothing is done contrary to the civil and religious laws of the empire, contained in the Ta-tsing-hwei-tien, and in the sacred books of Confucius. These members are denominated ' Ta-hyo-si,
583. oldal - Senate elect the sixteen members of the Senate, ten of whom at least must be lawyers. Two burgomasters, the first elected for four years, and the second for the same period, direct the affairs of the Senate, through a Ministry divided into twelve departments — namely, Foreign Affairs, Church and Education, Justice, Finance, Police, Medical and Sanitary Administration, Military Affairs, Commerce .and Shipping, Ports and Railways, Public Works, Industry, and Poor Laws. All the ministers are senators.
9. oldal - The executive government of Great Britain and Ireland is vested nominally in the Crown ; but practically in a committee of ministers, commonly called the Cabinet, which has come to absorb the function of the ancient Privy Council, or 'the King in Council...
851. oldal - Baden, and Prussia. The emperor is in possession of the revenue from the Crown domains, consisting of more than a million of square miles of cultivated land and forests, besides gold and other mines in Siberia, and producing a vast revenue, the actual amount of which is, however, •unknown, as no reference to the subject is made in the budgets or finance accounts, the Crown domains being considered the private property of the imperial family. The...
108. oldal - Money, Weights, and Measures, The weights and measures of Ceylon are the same as those of the United Kingdom. The money of the country is the rupee of British India. Accounts are kept in rupees and cents.
378. oldal - ... canons. In each diocese is an ecclesiastical seminary. There are few endowments, and the clergy derive their maintenance chiefly from fees and voluntary gifts.
274. oldal - Houses take place by ballot. The executive is vested in a Governor appointed by the Crown and an Executive Council, consisting of the responsible ministers, and specially appointed members. Governor of South Australia.
853. oldal - Most of the above heads of departments have assistant ministers, who supply their place on certain occasions. They all communicate directly with the sovereign, or with the ' Private Cabinet of the Emperor,' in which body centres the whole executive authority of the empire.
115. oldal - Statistical Abstract for the several Colonial and other Possessions of the United Kingdom in each year, from 1852 to 1865.