The Church Records of Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church, Orangeburg County, South Carolina and "the Red Church"
This book contains church records from two of St. Matthews churches in Orangeburg, S.C., area; St. Matthews Lutherina Church in Orangeburg, and the other, St. Matthews Episcopal Church at Fort Mootem S.C., also known as "The Red Church". The St. Matthews Episcopal Parish traces its beginning to a few English and French Huguenot families and many German Swiss who were living in Amelia Township, in what was then Berkeley County. The chapel was built in 1757, and the Parish was established in 1765 extending from Nelson's Ferry (above Eutawville) to Beaver Creek and from the Santee and Cooper Rivers to the Edisto River. The church was moved in 1800, 1815-1819 and again in 1852 when is was erected on its present site near Fort Motte. These records from St. Matthews Lutheran Church are going to be of utmost importance for genealogist working in Orangeburg and Lexington counties since both are burned counties and so many of the people are found in these church registers for descendants living later in Lexington County.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Adam aged Anna Baldrick Barber Bookhardt born Brandenburg Burket Caldwell Carolina Cates Catherine CC CC CC CC H CC T3 cont-d CUH CUH CUH H CUri David David Eades Derrick Easter Monday Eliza Elizabeth Felkel Francklow Garick Gates dead Goodwyn H CC H CUH Haigler Harmon Hawkins Henry Hoffman Holman Hungerpieler Irick Jacob Beck Jacob Keller Jacob Ziegler James James Lovell Jane John Keller lCUC Lewis Lexington County M.E. Church Margaret Martha Mary Ann Matthew-s church Matthew-s Parish McCord Mount Lebanon Orangeburg Orangeburg county paid parish church pence Pinegrove pounds Rast Revd rH rH Richardson Robt Sabb Sarah shillings Stent Stoudenmire Stoutenmyer Switzer T3 CC Thos Turquand Vestry Church Wardens W.T. Thomson Waltz Wissenhunt Wolfe Zimmerman