The golden minster: the Anglo-Saxon minster and later medieval priory of St Oswald at Gloucester
Council for British Archaeology, Nov 30, 1999 - Architecture - 267 pages
Standing buildings survey, documentary sources, excavation and specialist finds studies are combined to produce a history of the Anglo-Saxon minster and Medieval priory founded in c.900 AD, at the time of the re-founding of Gloucester when the relics of St Oswald of Northumbria were given to the city. This report discusses the 1975-76 excavations and standing building survey, including studies of the finds, sculpture and architectural stone, burials and human skeletal remains. It is believed that the building may have been nicknamed 'Golden' during the 10th century on account of its numerous ornaments.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The documentary evidence to 1086 by Michael Hare
The excavation and the structural evidence
3 other sections not shown
12th century Abbey Anglo-Saxon architectural Anglo-Saxon burials apse arcade arch Archbishop archbishops of York architectural fragments bone brackets building buttresses cemetery chamfered chancel chapel charcoal burials church Compton Abdale Context groups cross cross-shaft crypt decorated demolition early 12th century east porticus Ethelred evidence excavation fabric face Figure floor tiles foundation grip grip-plate included King Kingsholm late medieval later levels Malvern Chase Mary de Lode medieval Mercian Merewalh minster at Gloucester mortar floor moulding nailed coffins nave Norman north aisle north porticus north transept north-east chamber old minster oolite painted parish Period VII Peter's Abbey possible post-medieval pottery Priory House probably relics Reused in Period robbing royal ruin Section shaft sherds skeletons St Mary St Oswald's St Oswald's Priory St Peter Stigand stone suggests surviving tapering tilery transept trench unstratified voussoirs west range western apse William of Malmesbury WMGR