The Human Body in Health and Illness, Volume 1
, 2003 - Medical
- 519 pages
Fun to read and clearly written, this full-color textbook presents fundamental anatomy and physiology knowledge in an engaging manner. The new second edition simplifies complex concepts and applies them to common problems in patient care. Special attention is given to the anatomy and physiology knowledge that is needed for an understanding of pathophysiology and pharmacology. The underlying physiology of pathologic conditions is explained in a common-sense approach with specific clinical examples.
- Original, full-color illustrations complement the text. Accurate, attractive, and precise, the art helps to simplify the most complex and fundamental concepts. Many small reference figures and insets are included for context.
- Original, full-color cartoons use humor to reinforce content, making the text more user-friendly.
- Do You Know... boxes are brief, sometimes illustrated, and cover issues appropriate to the subject. Many elaborate on pathophysiology; while others pique reader interest with historical background information.
- Disorders of the System is a table of specific disorders related to individual body systems.
- As You Age boxes describe how human anatomy and physiology is affected by aging.
- Sum It Up! content is included throughout chapters and provides reinforcement and a summary of key topics.
- Key Terms with pronunciation guides are in each chapter opener. All Key Terms are in color and are defined in the Glossary.
- A Summary Outline at the end of each chapter functions as a useful study tool.
- The Glossary is extensive, including all Key Terms, all boldfaced terms, and additional terms - all with pronunciation guides.
- Each soft-cover version of the textbook includes the Body Spectrum Electronic Anatomy Coloring Book CD-ROM. This interactive software simplifies the way students learn anatomy and medical terminology. It offers 80 detailed anatomy illustrations that can be colored online or printed out to color and study offline.
- A new chapter, Microbiology Basics (Chapter 5), includes pathogens and disorders caused by them, microorganisms, and the spread of infection.
- The Endocrine chapter includes revised and simplified content and illustrations.
- New Do You Know... boxes are included throughout.
- Review Your Knowledge questions at the end of the chapter include multiple-choice as well as short-answer questions.
- Answers to multiple-choice questions appear on the inside back cover for quick access. Answers to short-answer questions appear in the Instructor's Manual.