Tigard

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, Apr 1, 2013 - History - 127 pages
0 Reviews
Tigard, Oregon, began as an elegant farming community on the Tualatin Plains in the Northern Willamette Valley and became an upscale metropolitan residential community. The Native American Atfalati Kalapuyas interacted with early trappers, traders, missionaries,
and pioneer settlers. Pioneers arrived in the 1850s to take up donation land claims. Tigard was originally called East Butte, and numerous nationalities and religions populated the settlement. A grange was formed to aid farmers' causes, and churches were established to build a sense of neighborliness. East Butte became Tigardville when Charles Fremont Tigard opened a post office in his general merchandise store in 1886 and named the postal station after his parents. Tigardville became Tigard when the Oregon Electric Railway came through
in 1908, and residents distinguished Tigard from Wilsonville. The Oregon Electric shipped Tigard's farm produce north to Portland and south to Salem. Tigard was incorporated as a city on September 11, 1961, and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2011.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments vbdbdkrlwQC
7
East Butte Becomes a Community OQUWN
73
Tigard Becomes Urban
91
Tigard Today
111
Bibliography
125
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2013)

Author Dr. Barbara Bennett Peterson is a former professor of history at Oregon State University, the historian/writer for the Tigard Historical Association, which preserves the John Tigard House Museum, and a docent at Tigard Public Library s Local History Room.

Bibliographic information