Tips for Teaching with CALL: Practical Approaches to Computer-Assisted Language Learning
, by Carol A. Chapelle and Joan Jamieson, introduces English language teachers to computer-assisted language learning, or CALL. This practical reference book links specific techniques for using CALL with contemporary CALL research. The book and companion CD-ROM clearly demonstrate why and how to use CALL to teach vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking, communication skills, and content-based language. Features of the Book:
Features of the CD-ROM:
- Color screenshots of authentic CALL software, along with descriptions, level information, and notes, illustrate more than 100 real examples.
- Concrete tips at the beginning of each chapter help teachers get students working productively with electronic texts.
- What the research says and What the teacher can do sections link pedagogical research with classroom techniques.
- Specific topics covered in different chapters include Vocabulary, Grammar, Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Communication Skills, and Content-Based Language.
- Focus questions at the end of each chapter guide teachers in selecting appropriate CALL activities for their students' needs.
- Interactive video clips show application of tips from each chapter.
- Demonstration tips show students using authentic CALL software.
- Simulation tips guide teachers through using authentic CALL programs.
The Tips for Teaching
series covers topics of practical classroom-centered interest for English language teachers. Written in clearly comprehensible terms, each book offers soundly conceived practical approaches to classroom instruction that are firnly grounded in current pedagogical research. System Requirements
- Windows(r) 2000/XP/Vista or Mac OSX (10.3 or higher)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer(r) 6.x, SafariTM 1.x, Firefox(r) 1.x, Mozilla(r) 1.x, NetscapeTM 7.x or later
- 256 MB RAM minimum (512+ MB recommended)
- 500 MB available hard drive space
- Monitor resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher
- Sound card and speakers
- CD-ROM drive (10x or faster)
- Adobe(r) Flash(r) 8 plug-in or higher (Note: If your computer does not have this plug-in, and Internet connection is required for installation.)