Building on the success of the bestselling first edition, the second edition of this textbook provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the major issues in Principles and Parameters syntactic theory, including phrase structure, the lexicon, case theory, movement, and locality conditions.
- Includes new and extended problem sets in every chapter, all of which have been annotated for level and skill type
- Features three new chapters on advanced topics including vP shells, object shells, control, gapping and ellipsis and an additional chapter on advanced topics in binding
- Offers a brief survey of both Lexical-Functional Grammar and Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar
- Succeeds in strengthening the reader's foundational knowledge, and prepares them for more advanced study
- Supported by an instructor's manual and online resources for students and instructors, available at www.blackwellpublishing.com/carnie