Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2017 Edition - E-Book
Elsevier Health Sciences
, Nov 8, 2016
- 848 pages
Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with guidance from the most trusted name in coding education! From Carol J. Buck, the bestselling Step-by-Step Medical Coding is a practical, easy-to-use resource that shows you exactly how to code using all current coding sets. Practice exercises follow each ‘step’ of information to reinforce your understanding of important concepts. In-depth coverage includes reimbursement, ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and inpatient coding, with an Evolve website that includes 30-day access to TruCodeŽ Encoder Essentials. No other text so thoroughly covers all coding sets in one source!
- 30-day access to TruCodeŽ Encoder Essentials (in addition to separate encoder practice exercises on the Evolve companion website) help you understand how to utilize an encoder.
- A step-by-step approach makes it easier to build skills and remember the material.
- UNIQUE! Real-world coding reports (cleared of any confidential information) simulate the reports you will encounter as a coder and help you apply coding principles to actual cases.
- Over 500 illustrations include medical conditions and procedures to help you understand the services being coded.
- Exercises, Quick Checks, and Toolbox features reinforce coding rules and concepts, and emphasize key information.
- Valuable tips and advice are offered in features such as From the Trenches, Coding Shots, Stop!, Caution!, Check This Out, and CMS Rules.
- UNIQUE! Four coding-question variations develop your coding ability and critical thinking skills, including one-code or multiple-code answers.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes allow you to read the official guidelines wording for inpatient and outpatient coding alongside in-text explanations.
- UNIQUE! Coders’ Index makes it easy to quickly locate specific codes.
- Sample Electronic Health Record screenshots in the appendix provide examples similar to the EHRs you will encounter in the workplace.
- Online practice activities on Evolve include questions such as multiple choice, matching, fill-in-the-blank, and coding reports.
- A workbook corresponds to the textbook and offers review and practice with more than 1,200 theory, practical, and report exercises (odd-numbered answers provided in appendix) to reinforce understanding of medical coding. Available separately.
- Medical Coding Online uses animations, photographs, drawings, narrated slide shows, case-based exercises, pop-up definitions, and professional insights to reinforce coding concepts from the Step-by-Step text. Available separately.