What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
15th century adorned aisle altar ancient arcades arches architecture arrondissement bas-reliefs beautiful Boulevard bronze building built called capital celebrated centre Champs chapel Charles X chateau choir church College columns consists contains Corinthian Corinthian order court Dame decorated ditto dome Duke Duke of Orleans edifice elegant entablature entrance erected establishment Faubourg St formed formerly fountain France French front gallery garden Germain grand ground Henry IV hospital Hotel institution interior Ionic order king loges Louis XIIL Louis XIV Louvre magnificent ment Minister monument Napoleon nave northern occupied ornamented painted palace Palais Palais Royal Paris Parterre pavilions pediment persons Philippe de Champagne pilasters Pont present principal prison Quai remarkable residence Revolution roof royal rue du Faubourg rue Neuve rue St Salle sculpture side sous staircase statues stone storey stranger street surmounted theatre tion transept Tuileries vaulting visitor walls
Page 405 - Close to this spot there is one of the entrances to the CATACOMBS. — These immense receptacles for the bones of the dead were devoted to that purpose in 1784, when the Council of State issued a decree for clearing the cemetery of the Innocents, and for removing its contents, as well as those of other cemeteries, into the quarries that had existed from a remote period beneath the southern part of Paris, and by which several streets are undermined.
Page 369 - Ihe holy water basins arc attached to richly sculptured marble pedestals, surmounted by angels. Private mass is performed here daily. Gallery of Modern Art. — In the buildings on the eastern side of the courts is the gallery for paintings, formed by order of Marie de Medicis, and at first composed of twenty-four large pictures, by Rubens, representing the allegorical history of that queen. It was afterwards augmented by several pictures which belonged lo the queen-dowager of Spain, and by others...
Page 280 - XVI. (1) The chapel of the cemetery is a plain Doric building, about 56 feet by 28 in length and breadth, and 56 feet in height. In front of it is an open grass plot, from whence the eye ranges over Paris. Eastward of the chapel there is a spot devoted to theatrical, musical and poetical celebrities, such as Talma, Gretry, Boieldicu, Delisle, Bellini, Rubini, &c.
Page 478 - SAINT CLOUD. — This small town, situated on the Seine, 2 leagues west of Paris, was so called from St. Clodoald, grandson of Clovis, who, having escaped when his brothers were murdered by their uncle Clotaire, concealed himself here in a wood, and lived as a hermit. Being canonized after his death, the former name of the place, Novigentum, was altered to its present appellation. It was burnt by the English in 1358, and again by the party of the Armagnacs in 141 1 . It was at St.
Page 306 - The western front is at once the finest and most remarkable feature. Three ample portals lead into the nave and aisles. They each form a series of retiring arches, with angels, saints, &c.
Page 477 - Pompadour, bought it of the farmers-general in 1759, and since that period it has formed part of the domains of the State. This establishment consists of three distinct parts, viz., the show rooms or marjasing, the museum, and the laboratories or ateliers.
Page 411 - AL (AnneLouis) are inlaid in the pavement, which here, as well as throughout the whole of the edifice, is formed of rich marbles. The chapels for the nuns are separated from the rest of the building by iron gratings, and in that behind the altar, which is a beautiful piece of architecture, a crimson curtain screened the superiors of the convent from the view of the congregation.
Page 219 - The portraits, to the number of 90,000, are divided in each country according to the rank or profession of the individuals, and are classed in chronological or alphabetical order. The series of the costumes of various countries and different ages cannot be viewed without interest.
Page 499 - Bal, situated near the foregoing, is thus called from balls formerly given there by the court in summer. —The Quinconce du Midi, near the Salle de Bal, to the northwest, is ornamented with eight termini, of which four stand round a grass-plot in the centre, and the other four beneath the chesnut trees.