User Review - Flag as inappropriate
Excellent summary of the human/human and the human/God ethical obligations in the Hebrew Bible (TaNaKh or Torah, Naviim/Prophets and Ketuvim/Writings (eg Ecclesiastes, Esther, Lamentations). Also has a good selection from Talmud and Midrash (eg, Berishes Raba, Sifra, Sfre, etc). The book consists of selected short Scriptural passages with 1-3 paragraph commentaries showing the relevance of the Scripture. About 60% of the commentaries are from theologians and philosophers of all ages. The other 40% are either the author's own or from public statements from political and community leaders that implicitly expound or reinforce an application of Scriptural selection.
This book was used by the author in Hebrew High Schools in Philadelphia, PA, USA in the 1960s-70s. It is a timeless classic. The author, a Holocaust survivor, was the scion of the Kotzk-Lukov Chassidic leadership in Poland. The book is dedicated to the memory of the author's parents, 3 siblings, and 75 other relatives who were murdered by the Nazis in WW 2. The author's parents were Rabbi Joseph Aaron Morgenstern, the last Kotzk-Lukov Chassidic Rebbe and Nechama Schiffer Morgenstern. May there innocent blood be avenged by the Almighty. May the memory of the author and this book serve as a blessing to all he encountered in person or via his numerous writings.
This review is written by the author's only son on 28th anniversary of the passing of the author.