History of Grafton, Worcester County, Massachusetts; From Its Early Settlement by the Indians in 1647 to the Present Time, 1879. Including the Genealogies of Seventy-Nine of the Older Families
General Books, May 17, 2012 - 222 pages
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1879 Excerpt: ...at the same place. January 1st, 1869, George H. Rugg, who had been in Mr. Nelson's employ for a number of years, was admitted as partner. In 1873, Mr. Nelson's son, Charles H. Nelson, was also admitted to the firm. January 1st, 1877, Mr. Bugg disposed of his interest to the other partners, and the business has since been conducted by Jasper S. Nelson & Son. The factory, which was originally 30x45, two stories high, has been enlarged by Mr. Nelson, as his trade has increased to a large extent. The present building being 30x104, three stories high, with French roof. The firm also use steam power, having put in a twenty-horse-power steam engine, of the Haskins Manufacturing Company's make, of Fitchburg. The firm gives employment to nearly 200 operatives. The Boston office is at 22 High street. Mr. Nelson, the senior partner, who has so successfully managed the business for this long time, was born in Shrewsbury, June 2, 1822, the son of Josiah and Sophia (Goddard) Nelson. Married in Shrewsbury, October 31, 1848, Mary E., daughter of Gardner Wheelock. (See Genealogy Wheelock family). Their children: --Emma E., b. July 31, 1849 l d. December 3, 1865. Charles H., b. January, 1852; unmarried; resides with his father. Carrie G., b. September 24, 1855; d. July 9, 1869. Mr. Nelson, by his close attention to business, strict integrity, and enterprise, has succeeded in accumulating a handsome property. He was selectman for two years, and representative to the General Court in 1870-71. His residence, shown in another part of the book, is one of the handsomest and finest in town. Business in Cenlreville. A mill was erected here by a stock company, composed of Hon. Samuel Wood, Joseph Batchelder, Royal Keith, Colonel Mason of Mcdfield, and a son-in-law of the latter, n...
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.