The Signet Classics edition of Shakespeare's timeless tragedy of conspiracy and betrayal.
In the first of his Roman history plays, the Bard tells the story of the murder of Julius Caesar and the gruesome aftermath as Rome descends into a violent mob.
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, William and Barbara Rosen
• Selections from Plutarch's Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans, the source from which Shakespeare derived Julius Caesar
• Dramatic criticism from Roy Walker, Maynard Mack, Richard David, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more...
From the Paperback edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
actors amphitheaters Antony’s army Artemidorus bear blood Brutus and Cassius Brutus’s Caesar’s body Caius Calpurnia Capitol CASCA CASSIUS Cassius’s Cato Cicero Cimber Cinna Claudio CLITUS COBBLER conspirators crown dangerous Dardanius death Decius doth E. K. Chambers Elizabethan enemy Enter Lucius Exeunt fear FIFTH PLEBEIAN Flavius folio follow FOURTH PLEBEIAN ghost give gods hand hast hath hear heart honor humor ides of March Julius Caesar Lepidus Ligarius live London look Lord Chamberlain’s Lucillius Marcus Brutus Mark Antony Messala Metellus MURELLUS night noble Brutus Octavius performed Philippi Pindarus playhouse playwright PLEBEIAN Peace Plutarch poet Pompey Pompey’s Popillius PORTIA Roman Rome Senate SERVANT Shakespeare’s plays sick SOLDIER SOOTHSAYER speak speech spirit stage stand Stratford Strato sword ta’en tell texts theater theatrical thee THIRD PLEBEIAN thou art Titinius tragedies Trebonius unto VARRUS Volumnius William Shakespeare word wrong