For classroom teachers at all levels, here is a unique collection of practical, proven-effective techniques and ready-to-use tools for managing classroom behavior and creating the positive environment that students and teachers need to promote learning.
Each classroom-tested strategy is presented in a simple-to-use format for quick reference that shows: What the technique or idea is, Why you need it, and How to make it work. Plus, the techniques are complemented by support ideas, time-saving reproducible forms, lively illustrations, and interesting, reproducible quote about teaching.
For easy to use, it s all printed in a big, 8-1/2" x 11" lay-flat format for easy photocopying and its organized into 10 sections:
- PHILOSOPHY provides a philosophical framework for the strategies presented in the book, such as "The Three C s of Teaching."
- KNOW YOU "CLIENTS" features activities and surveys, including "Icebreaker: Backpack Introductions" and the "student Survey," to help you learn about your students and their needs.
- HOME AND SCHOOL gives you support ideas and reproducible forms for improving the home school connection, such as "Newsletters" and "Parent Homework Letter."
- THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL offers tops and ready-to-use tools for getting the school year off to a positive start, including "Classroom Rules Checklist" and "Classroom Welcome Sign."
- VOCABULARY presents effective techniques for modifying student behavior, such as "Grandma s Law," which motivates students with a payoff ("desert") for completing a task.
- TECHNIQUE, STRATEGIES, AND GOOD IDEAS is packed with easy-to-use ideas, including "Noise Level Control" and "One-Minute Correction," for solving discipline problems.
- TEACHING SKILLS provides practical procedures that enhance your teaching and decrease disruptive behavior, such as "Transition Time" to reduce the time spent between activities and a "Teacher Self-Assessment" to help you evaluate and improve your teaching techniques.
- GREAT "LITTLE GEMS" offers a variety of helpful discipline and teaching strategies. For example, "Token Economies" shows you how to use a pint system to reward good behavior.
- SURVIVAL SKILLS gives you invaluable ideas for conserving energy and relieving stress, such as "Crisis Management" and the "24-Hour Rule" for handling difficult situations.
- FORMS features time-saving, reproducible forms, including "Substitute Teacher Form," "Office Discipline Ticket," and "Student/Teacher/Parent Action Contract."
In short, One-Minute Discipline
is a practical guide providing effective, easy-to-implement approaches to the many classroom management and discipline challenges that teaches face every day.