Echoes of Edgecombe County: 1860-1940
Edgecombe County, North Carolina, has a long and
intriguing history stretching back to the 1730s, when the first permanent European residents began settling the banks of the Tar River, and beyond, when Tuscaroras roamed the woodlands of this fertile region. Edgecombe County was recognized as a county in 1741; just over a century later it led the nation in cotton production and was well known as a forward-thinking and prosperous county of exceptional natural beauty. The tremendous changes ushered in by the Civil War and Reconstruction coincided with the development of photography. Photographers like S.R. Alley in Tarboro, who captured life in Edgecombe County on film in the crucial era covered here, were unknowingly recording history in a way that future
generations will be forever grateful for.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Working the Land
Earning a Living
Citizens and Social Life
Other editions - View all
Academy Albemarle Avenue Bass Battleboro became born Bridgers Jr Bryan built buried in Calvary Calvary Church Calvary Churchyard Carolina General Assembly Carr century Cheshire Cobb Company Conetoe courthouse Creek daughter ECML ECUSC Edgecombe County Edgecombe Guards Elisha Battle Elizabeth farm Fountain Governor H.C. Bridgers family Henry Toole Clark Hilma Hobson Pittman hospital Howard included James Smith Battle James Street John Jonas Johnston later left to right Leggett located Louis Dicken Wilson Macclesfield MacNair Main Street manager married Mary Mayo Mount Mills NCDAH North Carolina North Carolina-Chapel Hill Old Sparta Old Town Cemetery operated PC H.C. Bridgers PC Parker PC Simmons Pender photograph shows Pittman Princeville Quigless railroad Raleigh residents Reverend River Roberson Rocky Mount Rocky Mount Mills Runnymede S.R. Alley Staton Street in Tarboro Tar River Tarboro Thigpen Thomas Blount tobacco Town Common University of North Virginia Webb wife William