Austintown Township was first inhabited by Native Americans. In 1788, it became Range 3, Township 2, of the Connecticut Western Reserve and was named for Calvin Austin, a land agent for the Connecticut Land Company. In 1794, John McCollum was the first settler. In 1820, the population was 718. By 1880, coal miners and families increased the population to 2,502. The damming of Meander Creek creating Meander Reservoir put Ohltown underwater and flooded some of West Austintown. After World War II, Austintown grew tremendously. Throughout this growth, one constant remained--the schools. Moving from 12 one-room schoolhouses to one large consolidated school to 8 school buildings, the schools remain central to the community and preserve Austintown's identity.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
acres Anderson Austin Log Cabin Austintown Center Austintown schools Austintown Township Austintown United Methodist barn Bishop born bought Boyer building built called Canfield-Niles Road Charles coal Company Connecticut construction corner Courtesy AHS Courtesy Joyce Pogany Courtesy West Austintown Crum Davis Department developed died east farm fire Fitch four Frank George Henry High School Historical include first row James John Jordan Joseph Kirk Lake land Lanterman left to right lived Lloyd located Mahoning Avenue Mahoning County Mary Meander Mike miles miners MINSTREL SHOW Mogg moved MVSD named Ohio Ohltown opened operated Packard Park Paul photograph pictured railroad residents Ridge Ripple Robert Rose runs School second row served settled Shively shows side sold South Raccoon Road station third row Thomas town trees Turner Road unidentified United Methodist Church West Austintown United Wickliffe wife Wilcox Youngstown