Theories of Mythology
provides students with both a history of theories of myth and a practical ‘how-to’ guide to interpreting myth, the most elementary form of narrative.
- Both a history of theories of myth and a practical ‘how-to’ guide to interpreting myth.
- Introduces the major theories of myth from the nineteenth century to the present day.
- Covers comparative approaches, psychoanalysis, ritual theories of myth, structuralism, and ideological analysis.
- Supplies readers with the theoretical tools for imitating each method.
- Features detailed exemplary readings of familiar myths.