The Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars: A Political, Social, and Military History, Volume 1
ABC-CLIO, 2009 - History - 993 pages
A comprehensive overview of the wars that saw the United States emerge as a world power; one that had immense implications for America, especially in Latin America and Asia.
ABC-CLIO, acclaimed publisher of superior references on the United States at war, revisits a pivotal moment in America's coming-of-age with The Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars: A Political, Social, and Military History. Again under the direction of renowned scholar Spencer Tucker, the encyclopedia covers the conflict between the United States and Spain with a depth and breadth no other reference works can match.
The encyclopedia offers two complete volumes of alphabetically organized entries written by some of the world's foremost historians, covering everything from the course of the wars to relevant economic, social, and cultural matters in the United States, Spain, and other nations. Featuring a separate volume of primary-source documents and a wealth of images and maps, the encyclopedia portrays the day-to-day drama and lasting legacy of the war like never before, guiding readers through a seminal event in America's transition from the Gilded Age to the Progressive Era.
* Over 600 alphabetically organized entries in two volumes, covering leading individuals, battles, weapons systems, and events in the United States, Spain, and other nations, as well as economic, cultural, and social topics
* Written by expert contributors, with distinguished scholars of American military history and of the era in which the Spanish-American War took place
* Over 150 primary-source documents in a separate volume giving readers firsthand access to the way the Spanish-American War unfolded and was experienced
* 350 photographs and illustrations, as well as 16 maps, providing a rich array of images to help readers visualize the war's key events and lasting impact
* An exceptionally extensive bibliography guiding readers to significant additional resources in print
What people are saying - Write a review
The Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars: A Political, Social, and Military HistoryUser Review - Not Available - Book Verdict
Tucker, editor of several war encyclopedias for ABC-CLIO, lays out a comprehensive overview of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American wars, both of which changed the position of the United ... Read full review
Presents reference entries on the history of two wars fought by the United States at the turn of the twentieth century in Latin America and the Philippines. This was very helpful in my class.
Other editions - View all
The Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars: M-Z
No preview available - 2009
The Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American ..., Volume 1
No preview available - 2009