This reader-friendly, practical book offers you a solid foundation for developing an individualized classroom management plan that suits your unique instructional philosophy. This book examines a variety of models of classroom management arranged according to their primary focus: classroom management as discipline, classroom management as a system, and classroom management as instruction. Presenting a scholarly review of the research base on classroom management, this book will show you how each of the models effectively addresses current Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC) standards.
In the third edition, the practical orientation of the second edition has been retained while providing you with an updated view of classroom management models and research. The third edition includes:
- MyEducationLab for Classroom Management is integrated throughout the new edition. This new website features interactive simulations, classroom video, videos of discipline experts, assignments, and activities for students.
- New Chapter 11 on Positive Behavior Support as a model of classroom management. In 1997 Positive Behavior Support (PBS) became an important aspect of most schools' classroom management system when the amendments to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) became law and required that schools use positive behavioral support and functional behavioral assessment with students with significant behavioral disabilities. Since then, over seven thousand schools have adopted PBS as their primary management plan.
- New Chapter 14 focuses on research-based best practices in classroom management. This chapter provides nine proven strategies for managing classrooms.
- New feature Strategies for Dealing with Difficult Students. Classroom teachers need specific strategies for working with students whose behavior is not changed by the strategies that work for the majority of students. Each model now provides more specific information on how to deal with these difficult students.
- Seven new tables and figures within the text that are designed to give more practical suggestions for using the models.
- Seven new Tips from the Field provided by state teachers of the year.