Virus Taxonomy: VIIIth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses
Claude M. Fauquet, M.A. Mayo, J. Maniloff, U. Desselberger, L.A. Ball
Academic Press, Jul 15, 2005 - Science - 1162 pages
Virus Taxonomy is a standard and comprehensive source for the classification of viruses, created by the International Committee of the Taxonomy of Viruses. The book includes eight taxonomic reports of the ICTV and provides comprehensive information on 3 taxonomic orders of viruses, 73 families, 9 subfamilies, 287 genera, and 1938 virus species. The book also features about 429 colored pictures and diagrams for more efficient learning.
The text is divided into four parts, comprised of 16 chapters and presenting the following features:
• Compiled data from numerous international experts about virus taxonomy and nomenclature
• Organized information on over 6000 recognized viruses, illustrated with diagrams of genome organization and virus replication cycle
• Data on the phylogenetic relationships among viruses of the same and different taxa
• Discussion of the qualitative and quantitative relationships of virus sequences
The book is a definitive reference for microbiologists, molecular biologists, research-level virologists, infectious disease specialists, and pharmaceutical researchers working on antiviral agents. Students and novices in taxonomy and nomenclature will also find this text useful.
* The standard official ITCV reference for virus taxonomy and nomenclature, compiling data from 500 international experts
* Covers over 6000 recognized viruses, organized by family with diagrams of genome organization and virus replication cycle
* Provides data on the phylogenic relationships between viruses belonging to the same or different taxa
* Now includes information about the qualitative and quantitative relationships between virus sequences
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
aa sequence adenovirus ANTIGENIC ascovirus assigned abbreviations BIOLOGICALPROPERTIES black roman script blue roman script bracovirus buoyant density capsid CARBOHYDRATES conserved core coronavirus cypovirus cytoplasm disease virus dsDNA dsRNA encoded Enterobacteria Enterobacteria phage entomopoxvirus envelope gene genera genetic GENOME ORGANIZATION genome segments genomic RNA GENUS GENUS None reported GENUS Species glycoprotein green italic script herpesvirus host range Human papillomavirus ichnovirus icosahedral isolates italic script leaf curl leaf curl virus LIPIDS LIST OF SPECIES membrane molecule mosaic virus mosquitoes mottle virus mRNA names and synonyms nm in diameter non-structural NUCLEIC ACID nucleocapsid ORFs ORGANIZATION AND REPLICATION orthoreovirus PHYLOGENETIC RELATIONSHIPS PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL polyprotein protein RdRp region roman script Rotavirus Sequence accession numbers serological serotypes sgRNA SPECIES DEMARCATION CRITERIA SPECIES DEMARCATIONCRITERIA ssRNA strain names strand structural proteins synthesis tentative species names torovirus transcription transmission Type Species vector viral virions Virions contain Virol Virology viruses