A Sourcebook on Naturalist Theatre
A Sourcebook on Naturalist Theatre provides essential primary sources which document one of the key movements in modern theatre. Christopher Innes has selected three writers to exemplify the movement, and six plays in particular:
* Henrik Ibsen - A Dolls House and Hedda Gabler
* Anton Chekhov - The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard
* George Bernard Shaw - Mrs Warren's Profession and Heartbreak House.
Innes' introduction provides an overview of naturalist theatre. Key themes include: the representation of women, significant contemporary issues and the links between theory, play writing and stage practice. The primary sources explore many aspects of naturalism, giving information on:
* the playwrights' intentions when writing plays
* contemporary reviews
* literary criticism
* political and social background
* production notes from early performances of the plays.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.