What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
31 Federal Abigail Aborn Allen Andrew baker Becket Beckford Benjamin blacksmith boarding house Boston Bridge Briggs Broad Brown Buffum cabinet maker Carlton carpenter Charles Chesnut Church clerk cooper cordwainer County court Creek Crombie currier Daniel David dealer Derby Derby street Dodge dress maker Eben Edward Eliza Elizabeth Essex street Fabens farmer Federal Forrester Francis Franklin George George W Goodhue grocer Hannah Harbour Hardy Henry High James John John W Jonathan Joseph Joseph G Joshua Joshua H Kimball laborer Lafayette Lydia Lynde Lynn mariner Marlboro Mary mason merchant Mill Miss Nathaniel Nathaniel Silsbee Nichols Norman North Salem North Symonds Northey Oliver Osgood painter Peabody Peirce Perkins Peter Phippen Pickman Pleasant President Putnam rear Richard Robert ropemaker Ropes Salem Samuel Sarah Saunders sempstress shipwright shoe Silsbee Smith South Stephen Summer tailor tailoress tanner teacher teamster Thomas Turner Ward Washington Water Webb Wheatland William William H
Page 119 - ... to collect such facts and observations as tend to the improvement and security of navigation ; " third, " to form a museum of natural and artificial curiosities, particularly such as are to be found beyond the Cape of Good Hope or Cape Horn.
Page 113 - Society is to procure and preserve whatever relates to the topography, antiquities, and natural, civil and ecclesiastical history of the county of Essex.
Page 111 - The Salem Athenaeum, incorporated in 1810, was formed by the union of the Social and Philosophical Libraries. " In the year 1760, a number of gentlemen signed a covenant for the formation of a library in Salem, to be called the 'Secial Library.
Page 118 - SALEM CHARITABLE MECHANIC ASSOCIATION.— Organized October 1, 1817; incorporated June 4, 1822; consists of regular apprenticed mechanics and of manufacturers, citizens of the city of Salem and vicinity. Its object is to extend the means of usefulness by encouraging the ingenious, by assisting the necessitous, and by promoting mutual good offices with each other. A donation of books from Mr. Oliver Parsons, in April, 1820, laid the foundation of the library belonging to this institution. A committee...
Page 111 - A fresh impulse, thus imparted., rendered its further progress successful. In 1797 an act of incorporation was obtained. In 1809 a catalogue was printed. " During the revolutionary war, the vessel on board of which a part of the library of the celebrated Dr. Richard Kirwan* was shipped for transportation across the Irish Channel was captured by an American privateer. These books were brought into Beverly and sold. A company of gentlemen, consisting of the Rev. M. Cutler, LL.
Page 120 - ... improve the knowledge of this coast, by the several members, upon their arrival from sea, communicating their observations, inwards and outwards, of the variation of the needle, soundings, courses and distances, and all other remarkable things about it, in writing, to be lodged with the Society, for the making the navigation more safe; and also to relieve one another and their families in poverty or other adverse accidents of life...
Page 111 - An offer of remuneration was afterwards made to Dr. Kirwan, who generously declined it, expressing his satisfaction that his valuable library had found so useful a destination.
Page 111 - ... by the unsettled state of the country during the Revolution. At the restoration of peace, the attention of the proprietors was again directed to the state of the library ; all fines, forfeitures, &c. that had been incurred during the above-mentioned period, were cancelled, and it was determined to begin anew ; a fresh impulse, thus imparted, rendered its farther progress successful.
Page 112 - At the formation of the Athenaeum, the books were deposited in the rooms occupied by the Social Library. In April, 1815, they were removed to rooms in Essex Place. In 1825, they were again removed to the rooms over the Salem Bank, and finally, in the spring of 1841, to the present spacious hall in Lawrence Place, recently fitted for their reception. The present number of shares is 97.