Bridges of Spokane
Spokane's history begins with the arrival of explorer David Thompson, who established the trading post Spokane House in 1810. From that period forward, the area teemed with Euro-American settlers who often mingled with the Native American population. Spokan Falls, officially incorporated in 1881, and by 1891 known simply as Spokane, became ground zero for the extractive industries of mining and logging and later a vast hub for the railroads. These factors led to the greatest boom in the city's history between the years 1900 and 1915. Spokane's growth came on the heels of an increase in the built environment that included the creation of parks, subdivisions, an expanded downtown business district, and an almost feverish movement to create some of Washington's most beautifully designed bridges. Because of this, Spokane has often been referred to as the "City of Bridges."
Other editions - View all
abutment bridge building Bridge consisted bridge construction bridge’s built business core Canada Islands cantilevered center span Chestnut Street Bridges city core city of Spokane City Planning Collection city’s concrete~arch bridge Courtesy of Spokane crane crews derrick Division Street Bridge donkey engine Downriver Bridge downtown core East Olive Avenue Eleventh Avenue Bridge eventually Expo 74 falsework feet foreground forms formwork Hangman Creek Bridge Havermale Island Howard Street Bridge Library of Congress massive Mission Avenue Bridge Monroe Street Bridge multi~span north approach north channel Northwest Room old bridge Olive Avenue Bridge Pavilion pedestrian photograph shows photograph was taken platform Post Street Bridge poured progress photograph railroad Ralston rebar replaced Riverfront Park road deck seen side rails sidewalks Spokane bridges Spokane City Planning Spokane County Courthouse Spokane Public Library Spokane River Spokane’s structure timber traffic Union Pacific trestle Washington State Archives Washington Street Bridge Washington Water Power