On a simple piece of paper, a fierce bird of prey can swoop down upon its terrified victim, an adoring father can share laughter with the infant daughter cradled in his arms, raindrops can glisten on the hood of a vintage sports car, a lightening bolt can cut across the night, offering a glimpse of trees ominously silhouetted against the blackness. Drawing can enrich your life in extraordinary and unexpected ways. Drawing your everyday experiences can change how you and others see the world, while drawing from imagination can give rise to fantastic new worlds. And, despite what you may believe, it’s something just about anyone can learn to do.
Drawing For Dummies offers you a fun, easy way to learn drawing basics. Its author, professional illustrator and long-time art educator Brenda Hoddinott, has a simple philosophy—that only you can teach you to draw. With that in mind, she arms you with the tools you need to explore the basics and then coaches you through 30 hands-on drawing projects. You'll quickly
- Conquer the basics of line and shading
- Develop an eye for basic shapes and contours
- Discover how to create the illusion of three dimensions
- Render still-life subjects and landscapes
- Bring animals and people to vivid life on the page
Brenda helps you tune into your right brain and see the world as an artist does. You’ll discover how to break things down into basic lines and shapes and then reassemble them on the page. Other topics covered include:
- Understanding and exercising the basic skills of drawing lines and shapes, adding life and depth with shading, and rendering textures
- Mastering the fundamentals of composition and planning drawings
- Creating lifelike doodles and cartoon characters
- Drawing the natural environment including both plants and animals
- Keeping a sketchbook and drawing from memory
- Drawing people, starting with babies and exploring the human face from childhood to old age
It’s never too late to unleash the artist within. Let Drawing For Dummies put you on the road of discovery and self-expression through drawing.