The Transcript of the Registers of the United Parishes of S. Mary Woolnoth and S. Mary Woolchurch Haw: In the City of London, from Their Commencement 1538 to 1760. To which is Prefixed a Short Account of Both Parishes, List of Rectors and Churchwardens, Chantries, &c. Together with Some Interesting Extracts from the Churchwardens' Accounts
London (England). St. Mary Woolnoth with St. Mary Woolchurch (Parish), James Mark Saurin Brooke, Arthur Washington Cornelius Hallen
Bowles & Sons, 1886 - London (England) - 522 pages
What people are saying - Write a review
Abraham Alice Allhallows Anthony April 19 April 25 Batchellor born April born Aug born Dec born Feb born Jan born July born June born Mar born Nov born Oct born Sep Buried Charles Church Clarke Clothworker Cooke Cripplegate Daniel daughter of Edward daughter of Francis daughter of George daughter of Henry daughter of James daughter of John daughter of Richard daughter of Robert daughter of Thomas daughter of William Died Dorothy Draper Dyed Edmund Essex Giles Goldsmith Grocer Haberdasher Hannah Hugh Humfrey interred Item paid Joane John and Elizabeth John and Jane John and Mary Jones Joseph Judith July 15 July 31 June 20 Katherine Kent licence Cant licence London lodger Lombard Street Margaret Martha Martin Mary Woolchurch Haw Mary Woolnoth Mathew Merchant Parish Parish of St Peter Rebecca Richard Brooke Sara Scrivener Smith Spinster Stephen Stepney Susan Susanna Suzan Taylor Thomas and Mary Vintner Widdow
Page xxxiv - MEMOIRS OF SAMUEL PEPYS, ESQ., FRS Secretary to the Admiralty in the Reigns of Charles II. and James II.; comprising his Diary from 1659 to 1669, deciphered by the Rev.
Page ix - Eyre, 1459 : he gave the tavern called the Cardinal's Hat, in Lombard street, with a tenement annexed on the east part of the tavern, and a mansion behind the east tenement, together with an alley from Lombard street to Cornhill, with the appurtenances, all which were by him new built, toward a brotherhood of our Lady in St. Mary Woolnoth's church. John Moager, pewterer, and Emme his wife, in St.
Page ix - ... built. Sir Hugh Brice, goldsmith, mayor in the first year of Henry VII., keeper of the king's exchange at London, and one of the governors of the king's mint in the Tower of London, under William Lord Hastings, the 5th of Edward IV., deceased 1496. He built in this church a chapel called the Charnell, as also part of the body of the church and of the steeple, and gave money toward the finishing thereof, besides the stone which he had prepared : he was buried in the body of the church.
Page 177 - Duchett, formerly of the parish of St. Clement Danes, in the county of Middlesex, (who is stated to have died in 1620,) did by his last will ordain, that 400/.
Page ix - Then is there in the high street a proper parish church of St. Mary Woolnoth, of the Nativity, the reason of which name I have not yet learnt. This church is lately new built. Sir Hugh Brice, goldsmith, mayor in the first year of Henry VII., keeper of the king's exchange at London, and one of the governors of the king's mint in the Tower of London, under William Lord Hastings, the 5th of Edward IV., deceased 1496.
Page vii - It was an ancient custom at Basingstoke that women coming to be churched brought with them a piece of linen cloth which was called a Chrisom which was offered and given to the Vicar, but if any child died before the mother's churching it was buried in the same Chrisom.
Page lxiii - Sippenbam, in the parish of Lewisham, in the county of Kent, then or late in the occupation of the said George Andrews and Richard Rundell, or one of them; and also all those two several closes of land or pasture, some time being one close, and then divided into two parts, containing...
Page 9 - Thomas, son of Francis Kidd, Citizen and Writer of the Courte Letter of London
Page xxxii - ... or wool naught, as distinguishing this (for the churches were very near each other) from that in whose cemetery the wool-beam was actually placed.' This church was rebuilt about 1496, and restored, or again rebuilt, in 1620. The latter was the edifice damaged by the dreadful conflagration...