In 1825, the opening of the Erie Canal triggered a migration of pioneer families from America's East Coast to the Michigan territory. By 1836, entrepreneurs had dug a mill race and platted a village that would eventually become Battle Creek. The town was first known as a farm implement center for the Midwest, then became the "Health City" (for its connection to the Seventh-day Adventist Church and Dr. J. H. Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium), and eventually became known as the "Cereal City," because it was the birthplace of ready-to-eat breakfast foods. By pairing archival and modern photographs, this book documents how Battle Creek advanced from a small settlement to a thriving community. This comparative perspective reveals many changes and advancements in Battle Creek's physical and cultural landscape.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Hospitals and Churches
Other editions - View all
1930s photograph Battle Creek Central Battle Creek River Battle Creek Sanitarium became Block building was demolished built C. W. Post Capital Avenue Northeast Capital Avenue Southwest City of Battle city's Collection of Willard Company constructed corner of West courtesy E. W. Roberts courtesy Frances Thornton courtesy Willard Library Creek Central High dedicated Del Shannon E. W. Roberts Collection Emmett Street factory Frances Thornton Collection Interstate 94 Irving Park Jackson Street Jefferson Street John Harvey Kellogg Kalamazoo River Lakeview Leila Hospital looking southeast looking west Lower photograph courtesy Maple Street McCamly Street Michigan Central Railroad million millrace National Bank North Avenue northeast corner opened photograph courtesy City photograph courtesy E. W. photograph courtesy Frances photograph courtesy Martin photograph courtesy Willard photograph shows photograph was taken remodeled Street now Capital taken looking east taken looking northwest Territorial Road Upper photograph courtesy W. K. Kellogg Foundation West Michigan Avenue