Delhi: Cincinnati's Westside,
Expeditions led by John Cleves Symmes in 1788 brought the first settlers to the Delhi area. But the township really came to life in 1817, when the Ohio legislature passed a bill to name the area "Del High." There are many speculations about the origin of this name, but the true answer has been lost to history. Many farms sprouted up in Delhi, as well as
nearly 60 greenhouses, but only about a half-dozen remain today. As the greenhouses and farms grew, so did the population. Schools, churches, and businesses were built, and in 1829, the Sisters of Charity was established. Residents of Delhi survived the Cholera epidemic of the mid-19th century and three major tornadoes. Delhi citizens
are devout, and many continue to live in the same area in which they were born.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Anderson Ferry Road Anderson Township Anna Avenue Backus became blacksmith born bought brothers Broxterman building built Charles church Cincinnati Cleves Warsaw Road Club corner couple Covedale Road Delhi Pike Delhi Road Delhi Township trustee Devil's Backbone Road died District School donated Duebber father Feist Fischesser florists Foley Road Frank Fred George Germany greenhouse Greenwell Road Hamilton County Heintz Herman Jacob Burnet John John Cleves Symmes Joseph Lady of Victory later left to right Lipps lived located Louis Lipps Ludwig Maddux Magdalena married Martini Mary Mayhew Road motherhouse Mount Alverno Mount St moved Muddy Creek Road Murphy Neeb Road Oehler Ohio Ohio River Ohmer opened parish Pedretti Road Peter Phillip photograph shows Pictured Price Hill Rapid Run Road River Road Robben Robert Zoellner Runck Sayler Park schoolhouse second row Sisters of Charity sold sons South Bend stands Street West wife William Henry Harrison William L Witterstaetter Wolfer