Catalog: 1946-.

Front Cover
1893
0 Reviews
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 12 - Mass., was elected to the presidency. Thus, when the fall session of the institution was opened as Marietta College, in 1835, the faculty consisted of five members: A president, who had charge of the department of moral and intellectual philosophy, a professor of the Greek and Latin languages, a professor of mathematics and natural philosophy, a professor of rhetoric and political economy, and a principal of the preparatory department. , The college -was founded in the interests of religion as well...
Page 12 - In their annual report issued September, 1835, they say: "During the past year the Board of Trust have received new manifestations of the favor of God upon the work in which they are engaged. He has enlarged the circle of the friends and benefactors of the institution, and has again visited it with the converting influences of His Spirit, bringing a large portion of the youth connected with it to consecrate themselves to the service of Jesus Christ. Engaged as the Board profess themselves to be in...
Page 11 - In3f,, a new charter was granted by the State, giving the necessary power to confer degrees, and without the objectionable clause authorizing a repeal. The name was also changed from the Marietta Collegiate Institute and Western Teachers' Seminary to Marietta College. In the spring of the same year the Rev. Joel H. Linsley, then pastor of the Park Street Church, Boston, Mass., was elected to the presidency. Thus, when the fall session of the institution was opened as Marietta College, in 1835, the...
Page 43 - Previously to examination the candidate must exhibit satisfactory testimonials, that he sustains a good moral character. If he has been a member of any other College, he will be expected to present a certificate of regular dismission. No one can be admitted to the Freshman Class, until he has completed his fourteenth year ; and no one to an advanced standing, without a corresponding increase of age.
Page 14 - ... with the town. Marietta men founded it and they have most generously nourished it. The name has thus an appropriateness aside from its being a designation. The name is euphonious and historical.. It takes us back to the most interesting decade of our national history. It was given to the infant city by the officers of our War of Independence just before the breaking out of the French revolution that carried to the scaffold the unfortunate Marie Antoinette, and was intended to commemorate the...
Page 10 - ... place of Dr. Brown, and continues until August, 1832. The fall session of that year opens with Mr. Henry Smith as teacher in the high school. In the next spring he returned to Andover Theological Seminary, and Mr. D. Howe Allen, from the same seminary, took his place for the rest of the school year. In the spring of 1832, after the high school had been in operation about a year and a half, Messrs. Bingham and French invite a meeting of the friends of education to consider certain plans which...
Page 10 - It embraced four departments, the two higher being known as the High School and the Ladies' Seminary. At first the lowest department occupied a brick building on Front street, originally the law office of Governor Return Jonathan Meigs. Very soon a building at the south corner of Putnam and Second streets, used of late years for law offices until it was recently destroyed by fire, was purchased, and...
Page 13 - Virginia, and others. The Trustees seem to have been influenced by considerations of duty from the beginning, and their earnest, unceasing and self-denying labors, with the remarkable generosity shown in their oft-repeated gifts, prove' that they regarded themselves as engaged in a work laid upon them by the Great Head of the Church. We have been looking back over this period of fifty years to see how Marietta College came to be. We have inquired into its origin and antecedents. Let us look now at...
Page 10 - November 22, 1832, when a meeting was held at the house of Rev. LG Bingham (on the north corner of Front and Scammel streets, for many years the residence of the late Weston Thomas), of which John Mills was chairman and Douglas Putnam secretary. A draft of a bill for the incorporation of an institution under the name of the "Marietta Collegiate Institute and Western Teachers' Seminary " was presented and approved, and a committee appointed to confer with Mr.
Page 11 - ... same meeting a resolution was adopted asking Messrs. Bingham and French to state the terms on which they would transfer their Institute property to the trustees. A few days later these terms were accepted and the property was duly transferred, though the former proprietors were requested to continue in charge till the close of the school year. Before the institution was opened in the fall of 1833 in its new form, four young men had been appointed to the work of instruction, all members of the...

Bibliographic information