Osborne's work is the first history text to explore the sweep of California's past in relationship to its connections within the maritime world of the Pacific Basin.
- Presents a provocative and original interpretation of the entire span of California history
- Reveals how the area's Pacific Basin connections have shaped the Golden State's past
- Refutes the widely held notion among historians that California was isolated before the onset of the American period in the mid-1800s
- Represents the first text to draw on anthropologist Jon Erlandson's findings that California's first human inhabitants were likely prehistoric Asian seafarers who navigated the Pacific Rim coastline
- Includes instructor resources in an online companion site: www.wiley.com/go/osborne