Bridging Saint John Harbour

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, Oct 7, 2013 - Photography - 128 pages
0 Reviews
In the 1850s, lumber mill owner W. Kilby Reynolds, with engineer Edward R. Serrell, succeeded in building the first suspension bridge to connect divided Saint John. This operated as a toll crossing until 1858, when it became a government-owned structure. From then until the present, there have been two vehicular-pedestrian bridges and two rail bridges serving travelers crossing Saint John Harbour at the gorge at the Reversing Falls. By the third quarter of the 19th century, there was talk and plans for a second bridge, one which would cross at Navy Island to the North End. It took about 80 years before this plan came to fruition, and the Saint John Harbour Bridge opened in 1968. Through this rich collection of photographs, Bridging Saint John Harbour clearly shows the importance of the varied connector bridges over Saint John Harbour and how they came to be built.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Introduction
7
The Bay Meets the Wolastoq
9
The Harbour Highway
23
The Lost Navy Island
29
Neighbourhoods Destroyed
35
The Suspension Bridge
45
The Cantilever Bridge
59
The Rail Bridges
73
Tourism at the Reversing Falls Rapids
79
The 100Year Dream Gets Built
89
The Saint John Harbour Bridge Authority
115
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2013)

Harold E. Wright has written several books about Saint John. He is widely recognized for his heritage acumen and his unparalleled collection of period photographs of the city. His coauthor Joseph Goguen is a teacher of English as well as a tour guide, leading students and special interest tours around Canada and the United States.

Bibliographic information