The Stoa of Attalos II in Athens
Named after its donor, the King of Pergamon, the Stoa of Attalos was originally built around 150 B.C. Between 1953 and 1956 this long, columned, marble building was rebuilt by the American School of Classical Studies to store and display finds from the Agora excavations. Using original materials and techniques, the modern builders learned much about the construction and purpose of the stoa, a ubiquitous classical building type. This heavily illustrated account presents some of their findings.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
5th century Acropolis Agora excavation aisle American School ancient architectural ancient marble Ancient Shopping Apollo Archaeological ARCHITRAVE Athenian Agora ATTALOS II BACK wall blocks bronze building carved CHANNELING Classical Studies closed rooms COLUMN DRUM cornice cross-bar displayed donor doors DORIC COLUMN DORIC FRIEZE dowels east side eaves ENTABLATURE ERECTING FACADE feet Height feet Width floor FLUTING foundations Greek II IN ATHENS incorporated INNER COLUMNS INSCRIPTION Ionic jamb Karneades King Attalos King of Pergamon limestone from Piraeus lintel Lower colonnade lower front columns lower storey market place MASONRY meters monumental movement of air Museum north end º º º original outer palm capital Photo courtesy promenades provide shelter rebuilt reconstruction RESTORED revised Roman roof ruins School of Classical Sculpture second century B.C. sockets souTH END square Stoa of Attalos stood STUDIES AT ATHENS Temple terrace thresholds tiles TRIGLYPHS AND METOPES upper colonnade UPPER FRONT UPPER STOREY west side