Pragmatics and Discourse, 2nd edition:
- has been revised and reorganised to place more emphasis on pragmatics
- covers the core areas of the subject: context and co-text, Speech Act Theory, Conversation Analysis, Exchange Structure, Interactional Sociolinguistics, the Cooperative Principle, Politeness Theory and extends to more applied areas: Corpus Linguistics & Communities of Practice, and Intercultural Pragmatics, Interlanguage Pragmatics & language learning
- draws on a wealth of texts: from Bend it Like Beckham and The Motorcycle Diaries to political speeches, newspaper extracts and blogs.
- provides classic readings from the key names in the discipline, from Sperber and Wilson to Fairclough, Wodak and Gumperz
- is accompanied by a supporting website
Key features of the new edition include: two new strands on Corpora & Communities and Culture & Language Learning; the merging of two strands on Context and Co-text; new material from speaker-based cognitive linguistics; updated references; and fresh examples and exercises.
Written by an experienced teacher and author, this accessible textbook is an essential resource for all students of English language and linguistics.