Galignani's new Paris guide for 1874

Front Cover
Galignani Library, 1874 - Paris (France) - 456 pages
0 Reviews

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 402 - In the wall opposite to this is an ancient alto-rilievo, representing the death of the Virgin, with the Apostles. The monument of Henry II. was executed by Germain Pilon, after designs by Primaticcio. It is 14 feet in height by 10 in breadth, and 12 and a half in length. It is adorned with twelve composite columns of deep blue marble, and 12 pilasters of white marble. At the angles are four bronze figures representing the cardinal virtues.
Page 74 - Scotland to confirmation, if the same be made according to the forms required either by the law of the place where the same was made or by the law of the place where such person was domiciled when the same was made, or by the laws then in force in that part of her Majesty's dominions where he had his domicile of origin.
Page 311 - Some of the carpets take as long as 5 to 10 years to be made, and cost from 00,000 to 150,000 fr., and even at these high prices the workmen are very inadequately paid. None are sold. The largest carpet ever made is probably that manufactured at La Savonnerie, for the gallery of the Louvre : it consists of 72 pieces, forming altogether a length of more than 1300 feet.
Page 430 - Bains d'Apollon. Upon leaving the Quinconce by the principal avenue to the east, we see on the left an iron gate which leads to an agreeable enclosed grove, in the midst of which is an enormous rock, of the most picturesque form. Here a grotto leads to the palace of Tethys, whose nymphs are serving Apollo at the moment when he comes to repose in the arms of the goddess.
Page 243 - On the central pillar of the grand northern porch, Portail Septentrional, is a statue of the Virgin crushing the dragon. In the tympan above are the Nativity, the Adoration of the Wise Men, the Presentation in the Temple, the Massacre of the Innocents, the Flight into Egypt, and five scenes of the Deliverance of Demoniacs. Above sits a monarch presenting a sealed volume to suppliants kneeling. The arches are ornamented like the others.
Page 78 - ... warning or wages on being dismissed, but must, if required, serve the eight days. When the servant gives warning, or demands to be dismissed, the eight days are not payable unless the master requires the service of the party during that period. The master is in all cases believed on aitlrmation (see p.
Page 206 - Sec., for the improvement of machinery and implements connected with manufactures, agriculture, and other branches of industry. The formation of this establishment was ordained by a conventional decree in 1794...
Page 260 - Vauban reclines ; behind it is an obelisk bearing his arms and surrounded by trophies. Two statues, representing Genius and Prudence, by Etex, stand beside the hero. Next follows the chapel of St. Ambrose, painted by Bon Boullongne, in six compartments, representing as many passages in the life of that saint. The cupola represents his apotheosis. The chapel opposite is enriched with bas-reliefs and sculptures by Le Cointe and Paltier ; its cupola, painted in six compartments by Michel Corneille,...
Page 277 - On public occasions the members of the Institute wear a costume of black, embroidered with olive leaves in green silk. To obtain tickets of admission to the annual meetings apply at the office of the Secretary of the Institute, at least one month beforehand. The tickets are for one person. Opposite is the PONT DES ARTS — an iron bridge of 8 arches, and floored with wood.
Page 220 - ... principal parts. It was in this palace that the masquerade took place, which so nearly proved fatal to Charles VI. ; and it was in the great court that the tournament was held, in which Henry II., tilting with the Count de Montgommeri, received a wound in the eye, of which he died. (See p. 18?..) This palace was destroyed, in consequence of this event, by Catherine de Medicis, in 1565, and the present " place " begun in 1604, under Henry IV.

Bibliographic information