Encyclopedia of Chinese Film
The Encyclopedia of Chinese Film, one of the first ever encyclopedias in this area, provides alphabetically organized entries on directors, genres, themes, and actors and actresses from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan as well as 300 film synopses. Great care has been taken to provide solid cultural and historical context to the facts. The alphabetical entries are preceded by a substantial historical section, incorporating material on the the main studios and analysing the impact of Chinese film abroad as well as at home in recent years.
This Encyclopedia meets the needs, equally, of
* the film studies scholar
* the student of Chinese culture
* the specialist in Chinese film
* the curious viewer wanting to know more.
Additional features include:
* comprehensive cross-references and suggestions for further reading
* a list of relevant websites
* a chronology of films and a classified contents list
* three indexes
- (one of film and tv titles with directors names and year of release, one of names including actors, writers, directors and producers and one of studios, all with pinyin romanizations)
* a glossary of pinyin romanizations, Chinese characters and English equivalents to aid the specialist in moving between Chinese titles and English translations.
What people are saying - Write a review
Encyclopedia of Chinese filmUser Review - Not Available - Book Verdict
This work offers comprehensive coverage at a time when Chinese cinema has won international acclaim through the work of directors like Chen Kaige and Zhang Yimou (mainland China), John Woo (Hong Kong ... Read full review