Die Benediktinerabtei und das Adelige Säkularkanonikerstift St. Burkard in Würzburg
The history of the former Benedictine monastery encourages us to reflect on the conditions in the nearly thousand years of the life and survival of an ecclesiastical institution. Here for the first time is traced the history and development of a noble monastery which is of such eminent significance for the history of Würzburg. The monastery/abbey on the left bank of the River Main was founded as a cathedral monastery by Burghard, the first Bishop of Würzburg. In its long existence, it lived through crises and changes before finally being dissolved in 1803. Following the usual pattern, the internal structures of the institution are analysed in detail, as are its external relations and its property. The volume is completed with exhaustive lists of names.