Los Angeles's Olvera Street
Olvera Street Mexican marketplace and its plaza form the home of Latino culture in the Los Angeles region. Still standing in this downtown location of many fiestas, including Cinco de Mayo, are the Avila Adobe, plaza church-- La Iglesia de Nuestra Se±ora La Reina de Los Angeles, Pico House, Sepulveda House, and L.A. Firehouse No. 1. El Pueblo de La Reina de Los Angeles was founded in 1781. The 1820sbuilt plaza was ruled for decades by the magnanimous Judge Agustn Olvera. Wine Street was renamed in his honor after his 1876 death and took on a back-alley toughness depicted in early Hollywood films. In the 1920s, Christine Sterling campaigned to save
the Avila Adobe from demolition and transform Olvera Street into an internationally recognized tourist destination, which opened in 1930. Today the old plaza and Olvera Street shops, restaurants, museums, and vendors draw 1 million people annually under the auspices of El Pueblo de Los
Angeles Historical Monument.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
American Angeles Historical Monument Animals appeared Avila Adobe beautiful became began birthplace Blessing born building built California Casa celebrated century changed Chinese Christine Sterling Church city's Company constructed continued County Courtesy El Pueblo cultural daughter Department downtown early east El Pueblo Historical especially event Ezekiel Tarango famous favorite Francisco Frank Damon front future Garcia Hollywood includes Italian Hall John Judge King known late later leading Library located looking Main Street manage mayor Mexican Mexico Mother Museum º º Olvera Street merchant opened original owner park Photograph by Ezekiel Photograph by Frank Pico House pictured plaza plaza area popular pose preservation president Pueblo Historical Monument puesto restaurant restoration September Sepúlveda House served shows side Sousa Southern Spanish Today tourist tours traditional United visitors