ESPN: The Mighty Book of Sports Knowledge
Random House Publishing Group, Jun 9, 2009 - Sports & Recreation - 224 pages
In The ESPN Mighty Book of Sports Knowledge, Steve Wulf, acclaimed author and founding editor of ESPN The Magazine, delivers an arena’s worth of sporting wisdom, trivia, best-of lists, curiosities, legendary feats, and sacred objects–from the magic of Lou Gehrig’s farewell speech to the lore of hockey’s Stanley Cup to the art of the perfectly thrown Wiffle Ball pitch. Written to remind us all why we love the games, this indispensable reference features contributions from the finest minds at ESPN, as well as guidance from actual professionals. Inside you’ll discover
• twenty-five of the greatest sporting nicknames
• the keys to being a mascot
• what happens during a pit stop
• the five best (worst?) on-field temper tantrums
• a tour of Donovan McNabb’s locker
• how Wayne Gretzky tapes his sticks
• the unbeatable secret of rock-paper-scissors
• how to tape an ankle, fold a paper football, hit a hole in one, whistle with your fingers, throw a knuckleball, jump rope like a champ, and oil a baseball glove
• advice from star athletes–learn to run routes like Jerry Rice, take a penalty kick like Landon Donovan, fake opponents out like Chris Paul, and put on your socks the John Wooden way
The ESPN Mighty Book of Sports Knowledge is the perfect antidote to our video-game culture and an essential gift for any fan who ever dreamed of throwing a tight spiral in a Super Bowl, closing out a World Series game, or lining up a putt to win a major. In other words, it’s a book for the young and the young at heart.
From the Hardcover edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
lohn Wooden on the Importance of Hosiery
The Five Best Sports Leads
The Amazing Mr Stagg
Other editions - View all
ankle asked athlete award Babe Ruth ball base baseball basketball batting Beamon Bill Bobby Brandon Quintin Adams Brian cards changeup coach Cubs Cy Young double steal Famer fans fastball feet ﬁeld ﬁght ﬁgure ﬁnd ﬁnish ﬁrst ﬁve Flutie Frazier Gerry Giants Gipp glove goalie golf golfer Gretzky grip guys Hall of Fame hand hockey home run Howie Schwab ifyou index ﬁnger iust kick kids Lacrosse league locker long snapper look Lou Gehrig mascot Michael Phelps Miracle on Ice movie ofthe Olympic outﬁelder paper football Pete pitch pitcher play players quarterback Raymond rope says score soccer spin Stadium Steve stick Super Bowl tape tennis there's thing throw Tom Brady Tony Lazzeri touchdown trophy University victory Wilt Chamberlain winner World Series Yankees York