The Political Racket: Deceit, Self-interest, and Corruption in American Politics
CLEAN UP AMERICAN POLITICS--AND OUR POLITICIANS!
We blame builders if a home is badly constructed. We blame automakers if a car has to be recalled. But in the case of government, we put the blame everywhere except where it belongs--on the heads of American politicians of both parties, those who make the laws at federal, state, and local levels.
There's no doubt about the mess: high taxes, government waste in multibillions, a weakened middle class, loss of our manufacturing base, trade deficits, corrupt campaign financing, the failure of welfare, and tolerance for corporate high jinks.
The political system that worked so well for America is now structurally broken. And the entrenched political class, with its deceptions, ignorance, and corruption, is the villain. Meanwhile the parties have become trade unions for self-serving professional politicians.
In The Political Racket, Martin L. Gross, bestselling author of The Government Racket: Washington Waste From A to Z and A Call for Revolution: How Washington is Strangling America, puts American politicians under a microscope for the first time and finds them sadly lacking. His Bill of Indictment against our politicians includes the following:
* They lie so often that they seem pathological--yet they continue to fool the voters.
* They raise too much money, and they trade favors with lobbyists and special interests to get that money.
* Most of them are puppets of their parties and do not act independently for the people.
* A streak of moral turpitude too often runs through the political class.
* Their television ads are often masterpieces of lies and distortions.
* Their two-party system is set up to thwart independents and third parties.
* Their egos damage th work, as some of them begin to believe they are ü bermenschen.
* They refuse to back term limits despite overwhelming public support for citizen-politicians.
* They have become part of the celebrity culture and too often pander to the media.
* They take advantage of weak conflict-of-interest laws to line their own pockets.
In this hard-hitting investigation, renowned journalist and political analyst Martin L. Gross exposes the secret world of American politicians and outlines a plan to totally reform the system and replace the political class with dedicated citizens.
MAKE POLITICIANS WORK FOR US, NOT FOR THEMSELVES!
65 pages matching Republican in this book
Results 1-3 of 65
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
amendment American politics ballot bill Bill Clinton Bob Dole bribery bribes budget California campaign finance candidates cash charges citizens clients Clinton congressional Connecticut Constitution convicted corporations corruption cost democracy Democratic Dick Gephardt election Electoral eliminate enormous favor federal firms Flat Tax former fund-raiser Gephardt gifts Gingrich governor House and Senate House Ethics Committee House members illegal income indictment involved James Carville Keating legislation legislatures lobbying lobbyists major parties members of Congress ment middle class million nation nominee number of signatures Packwood pensions percent perks Phil Gramm political parties politicians populist President presidential primary Racket raised rates receive reelection reform registered Representative Republican rules Sales Tax Shuster Social Security spend staff Steve Forbes Tammany Hall taxpayers television term limits there's tion trade U.S. Congress U.S. Senate unethical behavior voters Washington welfare White House York