What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Adams Arlington Avenue battle bearing beautiful Bedford Bedford St Belfry Boston British Brook building built Burlington Cambridge Capt Cary Church Clarke close College Common Concord Turnpike contains Continuing corner direct distance Drive East Lexington erected extensive farm feet fields fire Follow four graves ground Hancock Harrington Heights High Hill historic homestead hundred interest John known leading Library Lincoln St lived LOOKING Main St mark meeting-house Merriam mile Mill minister minute-men Monument St names nearly North occupied opposite Parker pass past pastor pleasant Pleasant St Pond present probably r. h. road remained RESIDENCE Return rods seen Services short side Society soldiers Spring St stands Street Sunday tablet Tavern Thence town Town Hall trees village Waltham Weston St Woburn woods
Page 14 - Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here,
Page 31 - It is related that on the morning of the igth of April, 1775, when the alarm was given, his mother roused him from sleep, calling at the chamber door, "Jonathan, Jonathan, get up, the British are coming and something must be done.
Page 15 - HOUSE. the spot, from a distance of two miles, by a team of ten horses. It fitly symbolizes the firm, unyielding spirit of the men whose deed it commemorates.
Page 7 - Muzzy." The front, facing down Main Street, is probably indicated very nearly by the position of the monument there. The building was fifty feet in length by forty feet in width, and twenty-eight feet in height, with three tiers of windows, and with two galleries, one above the other, but with no steeple. It cost nearly £$oo, and was finished with pews on the floor, made against the walls, and the interior space fillad in with benches.
Page 49 - Continuing up on the opposite side of the street is the entrance to the...
Page 32 - She lived to the remarkable age of one hundred and four years, and...
Page 19 - April igth, 1775, was erected by the town in 1884, over the supposed site of his grave. It is a single block of granite, pyramidal in form, set upon a heavy base, and bears an appropriate 2O inscription.
Page 25 - Common, and the firing was plainly seen from the chamber windows. As Mrs. Clarke and her children were leaving the yard for a...