King's Handbook of Boston
M. King, 1881 - Boston (Mass.) - 328 pages
Includes 2 heliotype and 2 Albertype illustrations from photographs in Boston, and 1 uncredited collotype. "Includes short histories of Ford, Osgood, and Prang. Prang building illustrated with a line drawing. Heliotype Printing Co., Boston produced the plates."--Hanson collection catalog, p. 70-71.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
28 State Street acres American annual Association Avenue Bank basement Beacon Street Boylston Street brick building built Charles Charles Sumner Charlestown Charlestown district Church Club College Company Congregational Congress Street connected contains corner cost Court Devonshire Street Dorchester East Boston edifice England erected established extensive famous Faneuil Hall feet high fire firm floor Franklin front George granite Hall Harvard Hill Home hospital Hotel House incorporated institution interesting Jamaica Plain James John land largest Life-Insurance Lowell Massachusetts Massachusetts Central Railroad Medical miles Milk Street monument Museum musical New-England occupied Old State House opened organized Park pastor Post-office present president proprietor Quincy Railroad rooms Roxbury Roxbury district Samuel Scollay Square secretary society South Boston spacious Square statue stone story superintendent theatre Thomas tion town Tremont Street Union Warren Washington Street William Winthrop
Page 303 - He that hath a trade hath an estate, and he that hath a calling hath an office of profit and honor ; but then the trade must be worked at and the calling well followed, or neither the estate nor the office will enable us to pay our taxes.
Page 98 - SEPTEMBER AD 1828 THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THE GRADUATES OF THE UNIVERSITY AT CAMBRIDGE IN HONOR OF ITS FOUNDER WHO DIED AT CHARLESTOWN ON THE TWENTY-SIXTH DAY OF SEPTEMBER AD 1638 On the western side is an inscription in Latin, of which the following is a free translation :
Page 97 - of Harvard University : — TO THE MEN OF BOSTON WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY ON LAND AND SEA IN THE WAR WHICH KEPT THE UNION WHOLE DESTROYED SLAVERY AND MAINTAINED THE CONSTITUTION THE GRATEFUL CITY HAS BUILT THIS MONUMENT THAT THEIR EXAMPLE MAY SPEAK TO COMING GENERATIONS
Page 279 - to relieve the distresses of unfortunate mechanics and their families, to promote inventions and improvements in the mechanic arts by granting premiums for inventions and improvements, to assist young mechanics with loans of money, and to establish schools and libraries for the use of apprentices and the improvement of the arts. .The
Page 146 - bearing the following inscription : — THE SIGNAL LANTERNS OF PAUL REVERE DISPLAYED IN THE STEEPLE OF THIS CHURCH APRIL 18 1775 WARNED THE COUNTRY OF THE MARCH OF THE BRITISH TROOPS TO LEXINGTON AND CONCORD.
Page 122 - university, which comprehends the following departments : Harvard College, the Divinity School, the Law School, the Medical School, the Dental School, the Lawrence Scientific School, the Museum of Comparative Zoology, the Bussey Institution,
Page 176 - to raise the needy above the need of relief, prevent begging and imposition, and diminish pauperism ; to encourage thrift, self-dependence, and industry through friendly intercourse, advice, and sympathy; and to aid the poor to help themselves, rather than to help them by alms.
Page 129 - in 1861, for the purpose of instituting and maintaining a Society of Arts, a Museum of Arts, and a School of Industrial Science. The Society of Arts
Page 145 - We are the first ring of Bells cast for the British Empire in North America, AR, 1744." Fourth: "God preserve the Church of England, 1744." Fifth: "William Shirley, Esq., Governor of
Page 145 - God preserve the Church of England, 1744." Fifth: "William Shirley, Esq., Governor of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, anno 1744." Sixth: " The subscription for these Bells was begun by John Hammock and Robert Temple, church wardens, anno 1743 ; completed by Robert Jenkins and John Gould, church wardens, anno 1744.