All You Need to Know About the Music Business
No one understands the music industry--from the technology, to the legalities, to the new industry practices--better than veteran music lawyer Donald Passman. In this completely revised and updated seventh edition of All You Need To Know About the Music Business, which the Los Angeles Times called “the industry bible” and which has sold hundreds of thousands of copies, Passman offers executives and artists, experts and novices alike the essential information they need not only to survive in these volatile and exciting times, but also to thrive.
Drawing on his unique, up-to-the-minute experience as one of the most trusted advisors in the business, Passman offers advice concerning:
- The Copyright Royalty Board’s latest decisions regarding online transmissions.
- The developing new customs concerning new technologies such as streaming on demand, ringtones, and digital downloads.
Passman also gives guidance on other fundamental issues such as how to:
- Select and hire a winning team of advisors--personal and business managers, agents, and attorneys--and structure their commissions, percentages, and fees in a way that will protect you and maximize these relationships.
- Master the big picture and the finer points of record deals.
- Navigate the ins and outs of songwriting, music publishing, and copyright law.
- Maximize concert touring and merchandising deals.
Almost everyone in the music business, from musicians and songwriters to entertainment lawyers and record company executives, are scrambling to sort out what is going to happen next, and Passman is right in the thick of these changes. Here is a book for anyone interested in a music career: a comprehensive and crucial guide to making it in one of the world’s most dynamic industries.
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: All You Need to Know about the Music BusinessUser Review - Brad Branham - Goodreads
A necessary book for anyone (musician, producer, or even just fans) who wants to understand the modern music business. It isn't *exciting* reading but it is informative and I really like that the ... Read full review
Review: All You Need to Know About the Music BusinessUser Review - Tue - Goodreads
I took a fast approach to the book, as simply a music enthusiast. (The author recommends his own "Fast Track," as well.) The writing was entertaining enough for its arguably dry information (lots of ... Read full review
Other editions - View all
All You Need to Know About the Music Business: Eighth Edition
Donald S. Passman
Limited preview - 2012