Relive Conneaut's transformation from a sleepy agricultural village on the Lake Erie shore to a progressive, flourishing industrial center in this pictorial history. From 1880 to 1890, the population of Conneaut doubled as a new railroad was formed and its yard and shops created new opportunities for people seeking a better way of life in this growing town. The harbor, with its long-forgotten shipbuilding heritage, was revived and leaped ahead of its neighbors to become the fastest iron ore-unloading port in the world, thanks to the vision of a Scottish weaver's son. Italian, Finnish, and Hungarian immigrants arrived to work the docks and build the infrastructure needed to support the city's mushrooming population, doubling again in the next decade. During these early years, the residents enjoyed electric lighting, streetcars, and other amenities not available in larger cities throughout America. Conneaut's history unfolds here through historic images that document the building of homes, schools, churches, hospitals, and new industries.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
acquired addition approximately Avenue band became began block born breakwall brick bridge Broad Street Brown bucket building built Carnegie Central church Cleveland Company completed Conneaut Creek Conneaut Harbor construction covered Department dock early east Electric feet Finnish fire fishing floor four front George Harbor Street Hardware held high school Historical hospital Hotel hour Huletts included iron June Kingsville Public Library known Lake Erie later light located Main Street Manufacturing March Mary Jane Fritts miles mill Monroe moved Nickel Plate northwest corner Ohio opened operated organized original Park Pennsylvania photograph pier Pittsburgh plant Port post office purchased Railroad Record replaced Road Route seen September ship side southwest station steel STONE supply Telephone Theater tons Township trolley unload village Webb West Main Street