Catalogue of Antiquities in the National Museum of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland

Front Cover
Royal Institution, 1876 - Antiquities - 182 pages
0 Reviews
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 163 - J ; inches wide, and less than ! inch in thickness, notched on the sides and pierced with two holes 1J inch apart, formerly used as a charm for the cure of diseases in Islay, Argyllshire. 183. " Barbreck's Bone," a plate of ivory 7J by 4 inches, formerly celebrated in Argyllshire as a cure for madness.
Page 181 - Anti-erastian, Anti-sectarian, true Presbyterian Church of Christ in Scotland ; United together in a General Correspondence ; By way of Reply to various Accusations in Letters, Informations, and Conferences given forth against them.
Page 182 - Club, iii. 379-85, with facsimile.] [Declaration by the Lords and Senators of the College of Justice against the lawfulness of the Solemn League and Covenant, Preserved in the Scottish National Museum of Antiquities.
Page 133 - Hadrianus Antoninus Augustus Pius, Father of his Country, the Second Legion, the August (dedicates this stone after having) made Four Thousand Six Hundred and Fifty-two paces (of the Wall). The panel to the right of the inscription has...
Page 134 - Museum, Edinburgh, having an inscription, to Caesar Augustus Pius in the centre. The panel to the left of the inscription has a sculptured representation of a mounted Roman soldier galloping over a group of two slain and twoliving Caledonians, naked and armed with. * spear, sword, dagger, and square shaped shield. The other panel bears a representation of the sacrifice of the...
Page 138 - Pair of double-barrelled Pistols, with flint locks, which formerly belonged to Robert Burns, the Poet, and were carried by him as an exciseman. In oak case. These pistols were presented by the Poet on his death-bed to his faithful friend and physician, Dr. Maxwell. Dumfries, whose daughter treasured them during her life, when they came into the possession of the Right Rev. Bishop Gillis, in 1858, and by him made a gift to...
Page 124 - Cross is 11 feet high, 19 inches broad, 4 inches thick. On a square panel on the shaft of the cross is the following inscription : HEC : EST : CRVX : DOMINI : YVARI : M : HEACHYRNA : QVODAM : RECTORIS : DE : KYL : RECAN : ET : DOMINI : ANDREE : NATI : Eivs : RECTORIS : DE : KIL : COMAN : Qvi : HANC : CRVCE : FIBRE : FACIE : BAT. An excellent cast of this cross is a prominent object in the Museum of the Soc. of Ant. , Edinburgh.

Bibliographic information