Ridgewood, New Jersey, might still be known as Godwinville had it not been for the efforts of Cornelia Dayton, the wife of a real estate developer, who continually lobbied for the name change until the post office recognized it in 1865. By 1876, the community received township status. Street scenes portray Ridgewood's evolution from dirt to cobblestone to asphalt-paved roads, and the change
from a railroad grade crossing at Ridgewood Avenue to an underpass at Franklin Avenue. Sections on the historic buildings and homes are arranged so one can take a tour from one to the next, aided by in-text maps. Other sections depict the nineteenth-century mansions, community life of bygone eras, and the "lost" buildings due to fire or "progress."
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The Arrival of the Railroad
The Old Homes of Ridgewood
Historic Downtown District
The Lost Buildings
Other editions - View all
20th century Ackerman Akroo arched bays Beech Street School Bergen County brick Broad Street chimney clubhouse cobblestone Colonial Revival columns commercial congregation Cottage Place Crest Road Dayton Dien Avenue door dormers East Glen Avenue East Ridgewood Avenue EQUlPMENT Erie Railroad EXPRESS TRAlN facade Franklin Avenue frieze gablet Garber Square Godwin Avenue Goffle Brook Gothic Gothic Revival Graydon Historic Downtown District Ho-Ho-Kus Brook Hopper Horoell Hudson Street Jeraey Cily Jersey Loooge Midland Park Monroe Street National Bank Building North Maple Avenue Oak Street original Paramus Park Paterson photograph Play House porte-cochere post office Prospect Street railroad station Reformed Church residences residential Ridgewood Country Club Ridgewood High School Ridgewood Trust Company Saddle River Seerioo Spring Avenue stone house structure stucco style Suffern tent roof tower Town Club two-story Union Street School village village's west side Wilsey Building Wilsey Square wrap-around porch