Shed Nation: Design, Build, and Customize the Perfect Shed for Your Yard
Become a citizen of Shed Nation!
With hardworking advice from Popular Mechanics on designing, building, and customizing a shed for any yard, this is the ultimate inspirational handbook for every homeowner.
There are innovative plans for building several sheds, each with a different practical use, as well as contributions from Popular Mechanics readers who share their own designs.
The sheds include:
- Small Is Beautiful: A 6’ x 8’ shed with solid framing, plywood sheathing, and cedar siding. It’s big enough to hold a variety of tools, but won’t dominate the backyard.
- The Groundskeeper: This 9’ x 13’ shed with a spacious layout and a crisp, no-frills design is ideal for the beginning DIYer.
- The Big Red Shed: This handsome shed is a multi-purposer’s dream; a 10’ x 12’ tool shed combined with an 8’ x 10’ open bay that’s great for firewood or tractors.
- Classic Colonial: A stylish, multipurpose garden shed with decorative trim and architectural accents. Includes a 12’ x 12’ general storage space, 4’ x 12’ potting area, and a small loft for seasonal storage.
- The Greenhouse: Complete instructions on purchasing a kit greenhouse in a variety of sizes (7’ x 9’, 8’ x 16’, or larger) allows for a big-league growing season.
For additional motivation, beautiful photographs present a wide variety of sheds, from tree houses to eco-friendly buildings